Thursday, September 10, 2009

Some days I am a Super Mom



Most of the time, I don't feel particularly super. I am a dedicated Mom who cooks and cleans and bathes and plays with my child every day. I make it to bedtime, then I usually collapse, happy to have just gotten through another day. Phoebe is full of energy and smiles. We do a lot of giggling together these days. She is fun to be around and makes the Mom job that much easier. But any Mom will tell you that it's not easy. It's certainly the hardest job I've ever had. But today, it all got done with flying colors. Today was the day we had to start applying for nursery schools here in Manhattan, a process that anyone who has experienced it will tell you, is it's own theater of the absurd. It was also two-year-old check-up day, complete with blood drawing and vaccinations. I was dreading this day. I didn't sleep much the night before. I just wanted to get through it. With the help of Grammy Mika and cousin Felicia (known to Phoebe as SIta) we got it all done. We worked the phones in the morning like we were trying to get coveted concert tickets. I continued to call throughout the day as I walked in the street and went grocery shopping. Hundreds of redials later, we managed to score applications to all the pre-schools we wanted to try. Then miraculously, the doctors appointment went better than expected. They took us quickly, and though there's no getting around those needles, Phoebe was a champ who was back in good spirits five minutes later. Then home to cook dinner, bath and bedtime. I fell into Jeff's arms as soon as he came home, happy for the supportive hug from my handsome beau. For this one day, I felt like a Super Mom who can leap tall buildings and fly through the air for her child.

No comments: